Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Robert Kirkman on Broadway


While it's a sure thing I'm not the only one who thinks Walking Dead: The Musical is a genius concept, for now when I say “Robert Kirkman on Broadway,” it's going to have to just mean that the Kentucky native (that's right, Chuck—represent!) has made his way to my fair city for a signing appearance at Forbidden Planet at the corner of 13th and Broadway.


Less than a block from The Strand Books, where last night Chip Kidd appeared to speak on his new book Bat-Manga and where immediately following my meeting with Kirkman I was able to procure a copy of Booster Gold: The Blue & Gold, because apparently street dates mean nothing in this city, Forbidden Planet is one of the biggest and best comic stores in New York.


Kirkman, author of Battle Pope, Brit, Invincible, The Astounding Wolf-Man, The Walking Dead and a mess of other stuff, appeared at Forbidden Planet today and, because I arrived after the initial rush of people (the crowd was rowdy enough that signs were placed on the door reading “Line for Robert Kirkman forms inside”), he was relaxed, cordial and joking that because the crowds were manageable, it meant that he wasn't as popular as Forbidden Planet had reckoned.


It was a nice little appearance, and one that bodes well for Comic Related, as Kirkman communicated a willingness and a desire to work with us on stories in the future. After a brief conversation about the movie An Unreasonable Man, Kirkman instructed me that my next interview request should indicate that I'm “The Ralph Nader Guy” from Forbidden Planet, and that he'll be happy to have a conversation. So look for that the next time The Walking Dead comes out!

No comments: